Minimum PC Requirements for System5 :
. RAM: 256MB
· Processor speed: 1GHz or faster is recommended.
· Hard Disk Space: 4Gb free disk space.
· Operating System: Windows 2000 (SP1), XP Home (small systems only) or XP Pro (SP1 or 2) , 2003 Server.
Please note that NT is not supported by System5.
· Monitor: 1024 x 728 resolution or higher.
· Connection: Ethernet and/or USB (1.1 or higher) and/or RS232 serial port
This specification is intended as a guideline only.
The advertised specifications for modern PCs (RAM, Processor speed and hard-disk size) do not on their own
define how well a PC will
operate - other factors such as 'bus speed' are equally or more important.
Rate of Growth:
The database will grow at 32Kb per sensor per day. For 20 sensors over 3 months this is about 60Mb. Also,
allow space for database
backups, preferably on a different PC or removable storage. The backup process requires the same space
again on the server, and backups
should preferably made on a different PC or removable storage. For viewing archive databases concurrently
with current databases, more space
again will be required.
In particular some PCs sold for the 'home' market are not good at running database applications, also many
manufacturers keep down the cost of
a PC by allocating a portion of the main system memory (RAM) to the display hardware.
Although this works adequately for most general office tasks it can slow down drawing of graphs by System5.